About SooS Chronicles
Laura Chiaroni (b. 1990) is an Italian freelance photographer and visual storyteller. She attended the three-year course in photography at L.A.B.A. (Libera Accademia di Belle Arti) in Florence – Italy – where she graduated with honors in 2013. Her interest became focusing on documentary projects in which there is a very strong relationship between past and present, man and environment.
During those years, she started some collaborations with Italian artists and associations. In 2010 she became a member of BLITZ!, a collective of young photographers involved in workshops, events, exhibitions and projects. In 2011 began the collaboration with Archivio Fotografico Toscano, with the aim of enhancing the photographic local heritage and during 2012 she took part in a project with the photographer Silvia Amodio and the foundation Il Cuore Si Scioglie Onlus for the multimedia Un’altra Infanzia. I ragazzi del Manthoc, which focused on child labor in Perù.
The most important partnership started in 2012 with the photographer Filippo Bardazzi. They first merged their experiences with the ongoing project Standing Still (2012) about the American West and its representation in contemporary iconography and with The Great Illusion (2013), about the early explorations of unconventional gas in Europe.
During 2015 they founded the SooS Chronicles collective and they continue working on documentary projects in Italy and abroad. They are currently at work with the Russian minority of Baltic States and with the local community of Mugello area.
Their images have been published both on Italian and international magazines (D – La Repubblica, La Stampa, Gente, Newsweek Japan, The Financial Times) and have been shortlisted and awarded in several photographic festivals worldwide (FoFu Phot’Art – Fucecchio, Premio Marco Pesaresi, Rovinj Photodays, Atkins CIWEM – London, Photo Kathmandu, Athens Photo Festival).
Beside the artistic and editorial experience, Laura works as still life and events photographer cooperating with companies (Patrizia Pepe, BVLGARI, Airbnb) and photography studios (Hype Studio, Mauro Fabbio Studio).
Laura Chiaroni is now based in Florence.
- The Great Illusion – Newsweek Japan, July 2015
- Atkins CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year Catalogue, 2015
- Rovinj Photodays Catalogue, 2015
- FoFu Phot’Art 2013, Vanzi Editrice, 2013
- Standing Still – D, La Repubblica, July 2013
Awards & Acknowledgements
- MIFA Photography Award, Environmental, Honorable Mention, 2015
- 7th Ed. of The Julia Margaret Cameron Award for Women Photographers, Documentary, Finalist, 2015
- Photo Kathmandu, Official Selection, 2015
- Premio Marco Pesaresi, Shortlisted, 2015
- AIFF – Ariano International Film Festival, Finalist, 2015
- Atkins CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year, Shortlisted, 2015
- Athens Photo Festival, Shortlisted, 2015
- Rovinj Photodays, 2nd place in Documentary, 2015
- IPA – International Photography Awards, Honorable Mention in HOME Pro, 2015
- Fotoleggendo, Finalist – Rome, Italy, 2014
- FoFu Phot’Art, Winner, 2013
- IPA – International Photography Awards, Honorable Mention in Editorial Non-Pro, 2013
- Obiettivo Agricoltura, Finalist, 2009
- Standing Still, Spazio AUT, Prato, 2016
- Standing Still, Photo Kathmandu Festival, Nagbahal, 2015
- The Great Illusion, Museum of Arts and Crafts, Zagreb, 2015
- Atkins CIWEM E.P.O.T.Y., Royal Geographical Society, London, 2015
- Standing Still, Art Hotel – Room 402, Prato, 2015
- The Great Illusion, Old Factory Gallery, 8th Rovinj Photodays, Rovinj, 2015
- Standing Still, Arezzo Fotografia 2014 – Arezzo, Italy, 2014
- Standing Still, FoFu Photo Challenge 2013 – Fucecchio, Italy, 2013
- Incerti Equilibri, Biennale Giovani Fotografi – Bibbiena (AR), Italy, 2012
- Exposition of photographers of the Accademy LABA, Photo Vernissage – St. Petersburg, Russia, 2012
- Un’estate fa – Prato, Italy, 2012
- Un’altra infanzia. I ragazzi del Manthoc, Pesaro Photo Festival – Pesaro, Italy, 2012
- Un’altra infanzia. I ragazzi del Manthoc, Tg2 Storie – Rai Television, Italy, 2012
- Le campane suonano a festa, Metamorfosi | Permanenze – Prato, Italy, 2012
- De Rerum Natura – Santomato, Pistoia, Italy, 2012
- Un’altra infanzia. I ragazzi del Manthoc – Montelupo, Florence, Italy, 2012
- Camere con vista, Glue – Florence, Italy, 2012
- Io sono qui – Prato, Italy, 2011
- Scatta/Trova il Tesoro/Ripeti, Metastasio Theatre – Prato, Italy, 2010
- Sulle Nostre Tracce, Metastasio Theatre – Prato, Italy, 2010
- Io Sono Qui, Parco Prato Coop – Prato, Italy, 2010
Interviews & Other Features
- “Standing Still: quel che resta della frontiera americana”, Pratosfera, online, March 2016
- “Standing Still, il mito americano del Far West”, Erba Magazine, online, review, March 2016
- “Interview with the photographers of SooS Chronicles”, F-Stop Magazine, issue 74, online, December 2015
- “Belgrado, lungo i due fiumi”, Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso, photo gallery, online, October 2015
- “Sui due fiumi”, Rassegna Est, online, October 2015
- “Standing Still”, EXPOSE Photo, interview, online, October 2015
- “Standing Still”, Parallelozero, agency, December 2014
- “Standing Still: due pratesi alla scoperta del mito americano”, Pratosfera, interview, online, July 2013